Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sky is the Limit!

Opening lecture of a new course at my new college. I have studies a similar course in my engineering days, Principles of Management. There were in-numerous thoughts going through my mind about how the course would be, how will the methodology would be? Will it be again running down of slides and mugging up the fundas of management? What will it be? And the class begins.... 

What makes you say wow? Only thing which came to my mind was Apple Inc. I was like, iPhone & iPad are the coolest products which I have experienced in the past 24 years of my life. Why has an organization become so important for individuals? It is all because of excellence. Excellence is the thing which sets apart Apple Inc. from its competitors. Now, we all know that how Steve Jobs was the founding pillar of Apple, how he revived the fortune of the near to bankrupt company. But then Apple Inc. is still innovating and mesmerizing its customers with fantastic new products. Why is all this possible? This is all because of a basic rule of thumb. You never set an individual above an organization, it is the organization which sets itself apart from the rest. Excellence is all about how efficient and effective you are at the same time.

Another interesting part of the lecture was the notion of setting goals. Prior to this, I used to believe that the concept of goal setting is

Notions before understanding what exactly GOAL SETTING is. 

A : Goal Set
B : Potential
C : Performance (actual)
D : Performance (achievable)

Now, the explanation to the above preconceived notions were like, I used to believe that whatever goal we set should be higher that the potential, hence, goal set > potential. Also, I believed that our actual performance will always be higher than the achievable performance.

But then after understanding the actual sense of goal setting, I realized that every individual has an immense potential, so we just can't keep the potential at a lower level.

Perception after the class. 

So, "A" has to be potential for each and every one. The goals which we set are always lesser than our potential, but there should always be efforts done in order to bridge the gap between our potential and goals to be set, "B" is our goal set. Finally, we can say that "D" will be our achievable goals and "C" will be our actual performance. With every iteration, our target should be to raise the bar of goals to be set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment